Thursday, October 2, 2008

Don't Cry For Me Argentina

We got to Argentina the other day into the city of Salta. Our campsite boasted the biggest swimming pool in the southern hemisphere, which I believe. Unfortunately for us, the pool was empty. On our first morning waking up in Salta we headed off for a day long excursion white water rafting and zip lining. The rafting was amazing, hairy at moments but that was the fun of it. Thank god the boat didn't flip over, which was my main concern throughout, especially seen as we had to sign a form beforehand leaving no responsability if our death occurred.

After the rafting we had a massive BBQ and vegitated in the heat for a while. Handily enough, there was a guy who took photos of the rafting the whole way through, we bought all of the photos so you can see the hilarious looks on my face throughout soon enough.

After lunch we headed up what can only be described as a mountain for the zip lining. Now when I heard zip lining I thought, oh yes we'll merely swing from one tree to another on a zip line. Oh how wrong I was. Upon reaching the top of this mountain which was 160 metres high and overlooked a valley and the river we had just rafted down, I looked across to what we would be zip lining to.....the other mountain, ie. OVER the river 160metres in the air. I had a panic attack decided there was no way i was doing this. Not only did we have to get to the other side but we then had to go down 3 more zip lines to reach the bottom. I don't know how I did it but for some reason i just put on the harness and before I knew it, the instructor had pushed me so there was no going back. The first line seemed to last a decade and for the moments that I did open my eyes I honestly thought I was going to die. Luckily, I didn't die and made it to the bottom without crying or throwing a wobbly.

That night we threw a party for Mike and Rachel's birthdays with a massive cooler filled with 20 litres of Rum punch. We had the music blasting off the outside speakers of the truck and played drinking games until all the punch was gone. We headed out to Salta's nightlife. 'Inside Club' which did not open until 2am and was full of underagers provided us with adequate entertainment until around 6am.

We are still in Argentina now, in a place called Puerta Iguazu, home of the Iguazu falls which we visited yesterday and are by far the most breathtaking thing I have ever seen in my life. They boarder Argentina, Paraguay and Brazil and are one of the biggest falls in the world. Unfortunately I didn't take my camera for for fear of the spray, but as far as I know other people got loads of photos.

Now I'm off to Brazil.....

No comments: